Aruba

Aruba
aloe factory
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world: indeed, it's the only thing that ever has." Margaret Mead

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall--confucius

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." anon

A man is but the product of his thoughts--what he thinks, he becomes. Gandhi


I am only one, but still I am one.
I cannot do everything,
but still I can do something;
and because I cannot do everything,
I will not refuse to do something that I can do. edward everett hale
Doom to you who legislate evil, who make laws that make victims -- laws that make misery for the poor, that rob my destitute people of dignity, exploiting defenseless widows, taking advantage of homeless children. What will you have to say on Judgment Day, when Doomsday arrives out of the blue? Who will you get to help you? What good will your money do you? (Isaiah 10:1-3, The Message)

There is nothing in the world more beautiful than the forest clothed to its very hollows in snow. It is the still ecstasy of nature, wherein every spray, every blade of grass, every spire of reed, every intricacy of twig, is clad w/radiance. william sharp

I think no matter how old or infirm I may become, I will always plant a large garden in the spring. Who can resist the feelings of hope and joy that one gets from participating in nature's rebirth? edward giobbi

Let us be grateful to people who make us happy; they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom. marcel proust

I am only one, but still I am one.I cannot do everything,but still I can do something;and because I cannot do everything,I will not refuse to do something that I can do. edward everett hale




Friday, February 5, 2010

Rant of the Week

So Michigan has been in economic distress for quite a while with tax cuts from the Engler administration in effect for 20 some years after he left office. The legislature seems inoperable; just saying NO to all proposals gets nowhere. And cutting has led to no matching funding for federal dollars. 2.1 billion in road $ probably will be lost because of that. Can we get federal $ without matching state money? Not likely. So don't complain about roads. Drive south where good roads are, maybe move south.

We want long prison terms for all the "bad people" and we supposedly want to cut prison spending. But when those who have served minimum terms are let "out on society", there are demands to send them back. Can't have it both ways.

We can cut benefits for state workers; why not across the board? Demand that ALL EMPLOYERS cut wages including their own? Neglect the fact that that in turn decreases money available to spend in the state. Cut health coverage--a recent proposal. Why not eliminate everyone's health coverage. Wonder who would need all the medical offices around the state? In fact, medical spending must bring in a lot if new offices like on Center Rd and Bristol are being put up. Why not use all the empty buildings already existing? Tax breaks?

In a belief that spending $ in state would help our state, I and many others have cut donations to out of state organizations and charities. When called, my first question is often "Will this money be staying in Mi or in Genesee County"? That is a primary concern. Since investments tanked, many are being more careful of spending. Great idea. Get rid of those credit card balances, save, spend wisely, etc.

So now i'm left with a dilemma. What more to cut? Since pensions but not benefits like health coverage are supposedly guaranteed (unless you are a corporation or the government--I see another rant coming) I'll need to cut more. So do I cut all donations? Food bank has been a priority with me but. . .Do I quit spending in state since "the state cuts my benefits"? If I could move to another state, my pension would follow, and the state would have even less $ here. Might serve them right. Or would they enact a law saying pensions will only be reserved for in state residents? Isn't that a great idea?

No comments: